For a course that I help run each year, I have a list of themes that participants might want to include in coaching. It’s fairly random, and slightly focused on the participants’ needs in this context, but it might help focus your own thinking as a starter.
- Building your professional reputation
- Creating a systematic approach to LinkedIN
- Creating compelling articles, speeches and presentations
- Developing specific communication plans for different stakeholders
- Ethical and political issues in projects
- Expanding your personal network
- Exploring the politics of your organisation and sector
- Getting your book published and written
- How do you relate to social media?
- How family dynamics (past and present) impact your performance
- How to get promotion
- How to influence stakeholders in your project
- Identifying and approaching individuals who can help with your work or a project
- Life choices – balancing or addressing apparent conflicts
- Managing peers
- Managing people
- Managing ‘upwards’
- Preparing and polishing your presentations
- Public speaking generally
- Reviewing your personal development plan – short, medium and long term
- Reviewing your progress with a reflective journal
- Setting goals for work or career
- Storytelling to build engagement
- The impact of the past on your future
- Understanding your personality and how it affects your behaviour at work and elsewhere
- Ways of influencing at work
- What holds you back in your career?
- What IS your passion?
- Your career choices
- Your role, relationships, and performance in teams at work and elsewhere
Of course, any other ideas are always welcome!
Best wishes, Graham
PS A second list of 30 items followed this one.